The Adobe Commerce Conundrum
Adobe Commerce is “open source.” This platform is an 80/20 system: 80% of the average merchant's needs are met out of the box. The remaining 20% allows merchants to make customizations to meet specific needs. Flip it around, and that 20% becomes at least 80% of the budget.
Every line of code is customizable. But that doesn’t mean that every line should be customized. Every customization is technical debt. Upgrades are painful and expensive. Yes, developers should be taking steps to minimize this, but unfortunately, many just don’t know how.