Please note: The price is per user. If you are an agency and desire to purchase 3 or more seats, please contact us for special pricing. If you are in India, Bangledesh or Pakistan, please use the 50OFFINDIA to get 50% off this course.
- Magento architecture (20 questions): files required for modules, purpose of each system-defined file in a module, how to perform basic CLI tasks, how to create a new module.
- Request flow processing (4 questions): understanding how to create a new route and a new controller.
- Customizing the Magento UI (9 questions): creating themes, understanding layout XML, templates, LESS
- Working with Databases in Magento (11 questions): understanding the difference between (and use cases for) models, resource models, collections and repositories. How to modify the database.
- Developing with Adminhtml (7 questions): utilizing the capabilities available for admin customization, like ACL, menus, store configurations, available scopes.
- Customizing Magento Business Logic (10 questions): how products work, strategies for catalog maintenance, understanding categories.
- A guide written by Joseph Maxwell—who helped write the Associate Developer test, a 2019 Magento Master, who has helped hundreds or thousands become Magento certified.
- Project guide: a PDF (almost 70 pages) with detailed information on building a practical project.
- Videos: hours of videos providing additional details. Note that my mistakes are not edited out—rather, they are left in and I show you how to work through them.
- A git repository: peeking is allowed here (but code copying is certainly not encouraged).
- The incredibly effective SwiftOtter study guide.
- A practical and helpful project. This works through each step of the process and is a written provider of knowledge.
- Videos for each step. These videos are not cleanly-edited videos to only show the exact steps to take. Rather, they are mostly unedited to show the issues I run into while developing. My experience is I followed tutorials but I always had other problems, so that lessened the value that these tutorials brought to me. They were also discouraging because what seemed as though it should take less than an hour took me way longer.
- A git repository. You can see how I already implemented the ideas in the PDF. Note that the videos occasionally show a different code. That is because there are often multiple ways to skin a cat.
- 187 pages of in-depth and quality content.
- Includes 2 months of practice test access.
- Guaranteed, see below for details.
About the Test
This test was previously known as the Magento 2 Associate Developer Certification. It is now the Adobe Certified Professional—Magento Commerce Developer. It's new certification number is: AD0-E702.Only the name and the time limit have changed. No questions or content have changed.
The Professional exam is the "easiest" of the Magento 2 tests. It covers backend development, theme creation, and database modifications.
Joseph's difficulty meter: 2 out of 10. This is the first Adobe/Magento Commerce test that you should take.
In my experience helping hundreds of people achieve their certifications, please start with this test. This gets your feet wet with taking Magento-style tests and will set you up for success on the Commerce Expert Developer test (previously known as Professional developer). The questions are straight-forward and easy to understand. There is some tricky domain knowledge that only comes with experience or study (experience is certainly recommended).
Pass score required: 68%. Time limit: 2 hours
I (Joseph Maxwell) had the privilege of participating in writing this exam.
How much experience should I have before attempting the test?
Adobe says that no experience is necessary. You can take the Fundamentals of Magento Development course and then you pass. However, this is an expensive course and many of us developers have a "I'll do it myself" attitude (which is a good thing). This can lead into a problem where we underestimate the difficulty of the test and we don't study, and then we fail the test.
Instead, the course that I have written, see below, is designed to help bring you the knowledge necessary while also taking the minimalistic route to getting this knowledge (don't be fooled, as it still is a lot of work). Provided you have some Magento development experience, you can easily pass the test with some additional study.
Here's what the test covers:
The Prep Course
I would recommend everyone to go through them [the project guide].
Now... the story:
Instead of an article that lists 5, 7.5 or 10 resources that will help you become a Magento developer,, here is one resource that I wrote to help you become a Magento professional.
A big question for many is how do I get started in Magento development? Maybe you were just hired by a Magento agency, or maybe you are looking to bone up on your own skills.
Imagine having a senior developer come alongside you and teach you his learnings from the school of hard knocks. Instead of having to battle for days to find an answer, what would it be like to know where to find the answer quickly? Keep reading, because you will find the answer.
The Magento Open Source project has approximately 3,245,229 (over 3 million) lines of PHP code. The learning curve often takes months and possibly years. In the process, you are met with massive challenges in addition to not knowing the right way to build things. Many times, when people exit the learning curve, they do so with much baggage in the form of habits of doing things the wrong way. This costs time and money in having to come back later and fix mistakes. Oh, and undoing habits is really hard.
What if you could start development, the right way?
My goal is to train you from the beginning in what you should do, and how to do it to be successful. There is massive misinformation about Magento that is widely circulated and beginners don’t know what is good and what is bad.
I am going through the videos for the associate study guide and as you know I went through part of the project guide document as well. I find the videos to be fantastic!! I would recommend everyone to go through them. What is really important is the fact that "mistakes" stay included in the video and you debug through them "live". I have seen a lot of videos showing "perfect coding" where those mistakes were cut from the training and the person would just say something like "if you have this you should do that, etc..." but seeing it in your video and the thinking process behind it is so valuable. Thanks for all the time and efforts you put into this.
I have written an involved guide to help you come up to speed on Magento development. After reading and working through it, you won’t be a senior developer—that only comes with years of experience. But, you will be familiar with the main areas of Magento development. And, you will know where and how to find answers to questions in the Magento core.
If you give someone a fish, you feed them for a day. If you teach someone how to fish, you feed them for a lifetime.
That’s what happened to me. When I started out in Magento development, I ended up with a mentor who taught me this very thing. Instead of “use Magento Stack Exchange”, the discussion was around “where can I find this in the core?”. Don’t get me wrong, there are some cases in which Magento Stack Exchange is helpful but it is not the resource for us developers. Our #1 resource is right here on our development machines, right now.
What does it include?
Get a Preview
See a preview of the quality of the content.
All-new study guide!
Released December 19th, 2019: This study guide is brand new, just for the Associate Developer test! It is 187 pages long, with detailed and in-depth information on what you need to know to pass this test. BONUS: I am building a companion video series that will also be included with this guide. You will see, first-hand, how to build a module that is quite comprehensive (including uiComponents). I will let purchasers know when this is complete.
Already purchased the previous guide?
If you have purchased the study guide on or after December 1, we will be emailing you the new study guide. If you’ve purchased the Associate Developer guide prior to December 1st and you want our new Associate Developer guide, we will give you a 50% discount now through January 15th. Purchase it here then contact us with your original order ID and your current order, and we will issue the 50% refund on your latest purchase.
Yes, we will refund the money you paid for the study guide if you fail. However, having participated in writing this exam, just reading this study guide will not assure you of a passing score. You are spending less than $100 on a study guide for a $200 test, so it is important that you thoroughly study and practice. In order for us to provide a refund, you will need to have one of the first two practice test takes within a 4-week rolling window be over 65%.